Monday, July 04, 2005

making good

I promised a story, so a story I shall post.

Last Wednesday night, Mike and I went to the gardens, as per usual, for the weekly concert. Bluegrass this time, a bit of a change from the usual. Also different from the usual, we skipped Subway and got fancy food for dinner. There are some new restaurants in Kirkwood, so he got a burger and I got sushi... yum. Believe it or not, he actually tried a bite! Didn't like the eel much, but hey, more for me.

After food, we wandered around and saw the sights. This time we tried the hedge maze and English garden before hitting the lake to feed the giant koi. Instead of going straight for the bridge, though, I led the way down a rock path that led to a stony promontory on the water. Remember, this was the day when the heat index was about 110... So we get down there, absolutely no shade, and he plops down on a granite slab by the water's edge. We look at a small school of sunfish that gather expectantly... hungrily... and I start complaining about the heat.

"Let's get out of here. I'm sweating. Ugh. It's too hot. Let's go..." etc. He asks me to hold on a minute, come sit on the slab of rock that must be 20 degrees hotter than the air... and won't hear no for an answer. I'm still whining when he gets the little blue box out of his pocket.

I'm pretty sure I kept up a running commentary on the heat the whole time. He got the ring out of the box, I gave him my hand, he thinks for a second (and says something cute... not imagining a future without me... cribbed from tv? still cute.) Asks the question.

Of course. Yes. Of course. It's so hot here!

Was it yesterday that I was still bugging him to call the jeweler? Okay, I wanted it to be a surprise... but I'm not good at waiting for surprises! Especially surprises I expect!

He slips the ring on my hand.

"Okay. Let's get out of here! I'm burning up!"

I'd say it went well.

Oh, and pictures:

(not from the night, but a visual aid is fun)


side view Posted by Picasa


front view: sparkly! Posted by Picasa


on... need to do my nails... Posted by Picasa


catching the lightPosted by Picasa


close up Posted by Picasa

Suffice to say, I'm overjoyed. And now I'm heading back down to Rolla for the second half of my vacation... Yay!

No comments: