Thursday, September 01, 2005

Lots of random fun

One of my teachers today told a classmate during an exercise that she writes like a sports reporter. I, on the other hand, apparently write like Jane Austen. I don't think it was particularly meant as a compliment, but I'll take what I can get.

Things which make me extremely happy:
  • Gummibärchen (exactly what it sounds like)
  • Chocolate bars with 85% cacao
  • Science
  • Intellectually stimulating reading material
  • Hearing from my host family
  • My voice teacher either has a new baby or will very shortly
  • The weather in Kiel this week
  • My new rain jacket (for next week)
  • Care package from home!
Phrase of the week:
"Region 1 gaydar"
(copyright 2005, Mikey)

And now, at long last, the fun photo montage!

The enterance to Max-Kade-Haus... no ocean, unfortunately.

The kitchen, from the front door. Sorry about the blur!

Another angle, the table and the spiral staircase, up which I had to haul TWO 70 lb suitcases.

Looking down from the staircase.

A view of my balcony from in my room.

Oh yes, did I mention I have a balcony?

More of the room from my door. It's very big and I don't have enough stuff to fill it, which is a new problem for me!


From the other direction. All in all, a nice place. It's okay to be an exile.


Some of the swans I mentioned in an earlier post. The same swan family, I believe.

Pretty...

Oh, and of course I have to have pictures of the awesomest dinner ever! Two days of prep. Mexican food in Germany? Of course!

For the carnivores...

The whole spread. Handmade tortillas, fresh quacamole, pico de gallo, mango salsa, refried beans, vegetable fajita... I'm convinced that I will never eat this well again in my life.

Happy and hungry! L to R: Meghan, Abi, Jennifer, Mikey (head chef), and Andrew.

We invited a couple of international students at the Burse to eat with us and then join us later for Museums Nacht. It was a really cool evening. On this one day for $4 (student price) you can go to any museum in the city between 8pm and 11 or midnight. Extra buses ran all night, and every venue had entertainment and special events. There was a DJ at the aquarium, a live jazz combo, a bar, and food at the Schifffahrtsmuseum, and a bar and lots of things to see and do and buy at the Stadtgalerie. I'm the only bike-less one in the group, so I planned to walk and bus around and meet up with folks. Inese, our new Latvian friend, had another idea... and I ended up piggybacking on the basket rack on the back of her bike. It's a little rough, very hard to balance, and you can't see anything. Don't let the smile fool you: I'm scared out of my mind!

What on earth am I doing?

I'm finally caught up on pictures, so I guess I can take some more now... until next time!

No comments: