Thursday, April 26, 2007

Trying new things

Those who know me well: prepare to be shocked and amazed.

Laura, another student in my lab, has convinced me to sign up with her to run a 5K in June. We are going to train together, which involves a regular weekly schedule of waking up early and running before work.

That's right. Running. The bane of my athletic existence, such as it is. And I'll be waking up extra early, and paying the $25 race entry fee... just for the privilege of engaging in one of my least favorite activities of all time.

Exercise for its own sake has never been a part of my life... it's something that happens occasionally in the pursuit of other things. I don't really count my stint as a ballroom dancer at Kenyon because my practice attendance was pretty sporadic, and I did it for the fun and social interaction more than for working up a sweat. Biking to get around last year came pretty close, but for me it was primarily about transportation and I rarely rode around for exercise purposes, and I've barely used my bike this year (I did ride to work and back yesterday for the first time since the weather changed, and got a flat tire for my effort!) Sticking to a regular schedule with this is going to be a challenge.

The one nice thing about all of this is that Laura hates running too, so we can commiserate the entire time. There will be LOTS of commiserating. But hopefully also support and bonding. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes...very shocked...you better get some good running shoes!!!! Love you, MOMxoxoxoxoxox
p.s You might need to be back on your albuterol inhaler as well

Seventh_guest said...

Good luck and have fun! I know what you mean about "exercise" though. I have a bike, and I ride it all over the place. I've biked as much as 4 hours in one day before. But it was all going places, like the beach, a favorite breakfast spot, friends houses, or dance classes. It is so rewarding to feel in shape, no matter how you get there. Your lungs and heart and knees and feet and everything will feel stronger in no time, and then it will have paid off...even if you keep hating to run. [grins]