Friday, May 04, 2007

Week 1, so far so good, still hating it

I thought I'd offer an update on the training regimen, since it appears I'm actually sticking with this little project (see previous post if you have no idea what I'm talking about). The protocol involves running a set distance Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays (for this week and next it's 1.5 miles, though we do allow a few short walking breaks) and an hourlong walk on Sundays.

We started last Saturday, so today marks the end of the first week. I was noticeably sore on Sunday and Monday, but since then it hasn't been painful. Believe it or not, I still hate running with the burning passion of 10,000 suns. Most of what is going through my head as we go along involves contemplating every single little bodily pain as it arises, listening to the horrific cacaphony of my own breathing, and wishing we could stop. Pretty much every moment.

I went to the campus health center and got a new prescription for an albuterol inhaler, which is likely to help with the wheeziness and feelings of shortness of breath. I was on the medication for reactive airway back in high school when I couldn't shake a chronic cough, and those symptoms seem to be coming back since I got over my last cold, which just makes it that much harder to breathe. I hate taking the stuff since it makes me feel like I'm overly caffeinated all day long, but for now I'm going to try it on the days that we run.

Hopefully I'll be able to break out of these negative mental patterns and enjoy the weather, the scenery (our weekday route takes us right along lake Michigan in Evanston) or *gasp* maybe even the process itself as my body acclimates. We'll see...

1 comment:

Tim said...

stay strong, Alaina!