Saturday, January 08, 2005

It's been a while

Yikes! Only a week of break left and this is only my second entry. I suppose I've been pretty busy, working full-time and all, but I suspect that the computer isn't my main source of procrastination while I'm not at school. For one thing, my folks got a new tv, and satellite so there's stuff on. Plus I've seen Mike nearly every night since I got back, which has been fabulous. I've seen all of the movies I wanted to see over break:
  • Lemony Snicket was a bit dark but not trite about it. The soundtrack is quite good up until the final scene in which the kids pay a visit to their destroyed childhood home, which is accompanied by a score that is literally two notes off from "We Three Kings." It didn't help that epiphany was the previous week. The inventive credits sequence made up for it, though.
  • The Life Aquatic was actually not as funny as I expected it to be based on previews, but still a good use of my time. Another good soundtrack... one of the cast members basically sat around and covered Bowie the whole time... on acoustic guitar... in Portugese! The effects were inventive, but having seen Lemony Snicket in the previous week I was spoiled for it and thought it too campy. I appreciate Owen Wilson's good taste in roles. Which reminds me, I need to own The Royal Tenenbaums.
  • I've watched Anchorman on DVD twice already since purchasing it. I still think Will Ferrell's movies play more like sketch comedy than feature films, but I also still really like the guy, however irrationally. What can I say, I adore quirk.

Okay, that's long enough for today. The family is going over to our neighbor's house to watch the ball game, and tonight I have a reunion of sorts with some high school friends. Tomorrow is my cousin/goddaughter's second birthday party. Yay for fun weekends!

No comments: