Monday, December 04, 2006

Brrrrrr...

I was feeling bad earlier this week for folks back in St. Louis (parts of my family included) whose power got knocked out by an ice storm last week, but apparently I should have saved my pity for myself. I went to bed last night noticing that my radiators weren't putting out much heat, and woke up to an ice-cold apartment this morning. Three phone calls to maintenance (or their answering service, since it's Sunday) were apparently fruitless... no returned calls or helpful visitors. I'm bundled up in four layers on my own sofa.

I should mention that it's illegal in Chicago to maintain an apartment temperature under 68 degrees during the day or 66 degrees at night. I wish I had a thermometer.

Did I mention that the local news just said tonight will be the coldest night so far this year?

No comments: