Sunday, August 01, 2004

Home for a day

The thing I like best about coming back to St. Louis is that I know where the streets and highways go. There are always a few minor changes, a tree down here and a new construction project there, but the familiarity is a deep-rooted and enjoyable sensation. The thing I like least about being home is that nothing is within walking distance except church, so I'm constrained from making my own schedule by vehicular availability. Well, that and the fact that I feel guilty for choosing to spend time out with friends since I'm never home anymore... not that guilty, but a bit. I'm not here long enough for that to become much of an issue this time... at least, not until after I get back from Austria.

By this time tomorrow night I'll probably be cuddled up on the sofa at Mike's house watching Adult Swim and trying to decide how late I can possibly stay up without making myself miserable for the following (very long) day. He's home now and I've spoken to him twice already, but I won't see him in person until dinnertime tomorrow. I can tell we're both giddy about the prospect of spending time together by the number of times we break up and get back together in a single phone conversation. Every time he makes an off-kilter comment, bad pun, or dorky reference I tell him it's over. I think the longest I've ever gone before taking him back has been 2 minutes. It's basically an excuse to get cutesy and reiterate how much we love each other... yes, I know, it's totally disgustingly adorable. This is why the long-distance thing is good for us. If any of our college friends were forced to constantly watch this in person, they'd kill us with sticks. Our high school friends came close a few times.

I've managed to consolidate my stuff into a single highly volatile suitcase, which will be a bit easier to manage tomorrow. I definitely hope security doesn't have to open it up, because it looks like the slightest jostling could make it explosively spew my underwear and toiletries into the air at high velocities. I have no idea how I'm going to bring back any souvenirs without shoving into the fourth dimension for added space. Either way, I don't want to be known as the panty bomber... as cool a title as that would be for some kind of cartoon superhero. I don't even want to fathom the superpowers such a character would possess, or how they would have come about.

With that lovely thought, I really should try to go to bed. I may try to post tomorrow, but if not I'll update as soon as I'm back in the country!

No comments: