Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Drastic times call for...

Sometimes life starts to feel overwhelming, and you realize that the only way to overcome the challenges before you is through bold, decisive action. Sometimes, accomplishing something that's been in the back of your mind for a long time, no matter how insignificant a goal it may be in the long run, is enough to reenergize you and spur you on to the next accomplishment. At least, that's how it's supposed to work in my head. Here's the story:

It's another day, like many others at a small selective liberal arts college in the heart of Ohio. Except that I'm in my second semester of senior year, and quickly realizing that my time here is drawing to a close. Time, however, does not weigh heavy on my hands. Between coursework, musical rehearsals and performances, gainful employment, and a boatload of graduate school interviews, I realize that now would be an appropriate time to consider lightening my load.

Enter several supportive friends, an evening errand, and the fruition of a wonderful idea. I can take some acknowledgment, since I've been meaning to do this for some time. However, I must give credit where credit is due. Were it not for the subtle reminder from Emily, the vociferous encouragement from Jess, the fabulous assertiveness (not to mention driving ability) of Jen, and Connie's wonderful sense of style, I doubt it would have happened.

What on earth could have been so momentous as to require such a florid outpouring of prose, you ask? Why, nothing more than a simple haircut.


The before shot. It's been four years in the making. Posted by Hello


For full effect. That's a lot of hair! Posted by Hello


Our photographer for the evening, the always fabulous Jess. Posted by Hello


She's great for moral support! Posted by Hello


Also, the wonderful Jen. Friend, roommate, chauffer and all-around great person. She's already had a haircut, and looks superb. Posted by Hello


What's going on in there? Posted by Hello


Snip snip snip... Posted by Hello


No more pigtails for me! They are going to Locks of Love, so I'm sure whoever receives them will get as much joy from them as I have! Posted by Hello


voilĂ ! Posted by Hello


The finished product. Posted by Hello


And of course, the back. Posted by Hello


Connie did a great job! Posted by Hello

So it's finally done. And I feel great about it. Now to tackle the rest of my life with such aplomb!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alaina: Your new "dooooooo" looks marvelous. Such a delight to hear about your donation to love locks. I enjoyed my first visit to your blog, thanks to your mom sending me the link, and grandma for bragging how cute you look. love teddi ;)