Monday, February 21, 2005

a few thoughts

I've got lots of homework to catch up on before I leave on my next interview (Wednesday night already! yikes!) so I thought I'd procrastinate for a few minutes and post some of the highlights of the past week... anything to put off tackling my huge neurobio take-home exam.
  • I just made my flight to MI, but it was close, due to yucky road conditions. Ten minutes later and I probably would have been closed out of the flight... boarding began less than a minute after I made it to the gate! (I did make it, though. Jen is awesome.)
  • Leaving your wallet at the restaurant on the first night in town is pretty stupid. It's not so bad, though, when you actually remember the name of the restaurant (or at least recognize the logo in the yellow pages,) call them and learn that they already found it, and know a guy in town who will drive you out to collect it again. Marc is also awesome.
  • Interview weekends are fun. Meeting the other program candidates was really cool, even though we're technically competing for a limited number of spots. It's neat to talk to budding young scientists about their work and their goals. Same goes for the grad students and post-docs, whom I saw a lot more of this time.
  • Professors are the most fun to talk to when you probably won't end up in their lab, but are interested in hearing about their work anyway. It's slightly more stressful to talk to someone whose lab you'd like to work in but aren't specifically passionate about. I'm sure there's an entirely different category for the amount of pressure that builds up when you talk to someone with whom you are desperate to work... but as nice as it would be to feel very strongly about my future in a particular lab, it's at least equally nice not to have to deal with that angle. We'll see what next weekend holds...
  • Early flight cancellation+not knowing how I'm getting back to Gambier+lost luggage+missing an important event for a friend+an 18 hour day=kind of crummy. On the bright side, I slept very well last night, my friend is very forgiving (and maybe has a recording of his recital, hint hint?), my luggage has since arrived, I got a free taxi voucher to get back to campus (actually saving $20) and in general things are looking up. Yay for having my digital camera back (and I will post those limo pictures!) not to mention my toothbrush!
  • MIKE IS COMING TO VISIT! AND I GET TO KEEP HIM FOR A WHOLE WEEK! If you see me between Tuesday, March 22 and Tuesday, March 29 and I have a big stupid grin on my face, now you know why. There will be dancing, and merriment, and MUCH rejoicing.

So much for a quick recap! Now I have to sequester myself with this exam and try to finish it before class at 9:40 tomorrow. Whee!

No comments: