Saturday, February 05, 2005

A successful evening

We traditionally have an all-school dance on the first weekend in February. The event on the Friday before has always been a great opportunity for me to embarrass myself with impunity. I have a love-hate relationship with Karaoke events... I love to sing and certainly don't mind making a fool of myself! On the other hand I dislike screwing a song up because the background music is overpowerering and I can't even hear my own voice.

Then there's the concept of the "gong," or in this case, airhorns. I understand that the crowd and the judges need to express displeasure when a performer is inappropriate or just painful to watch, but what if the performance is decent and the judges just aren't fond of the song selection? I definitely learned that lesson freshman year... three times in one night!

That makes yesterday so much sweeter I suppose... Third place for solo events with my rendition of Abba's "Dancing Queen!" Many thanks to my fabulous backup dancers... I only won two free movie passes, but we should totally make a night of it!

No comments: