Saturday, February 12, 2005

The most astounding week of my life

there's an important caveat to the title: "so far, anyway!"

Where to begin? Hmmm... Not much happened until Wednesday. In the first half of the week I got started on my HPLC work in the lab, running standards and learning how to work the instruments, and began preparing for my actual protein analyses, which start as early as next week. I wrote two paper proposals and didn't get enough sleep. Pretty normal week, overall.

So, Wednesday...

I went to the post office and checked my box. Inside was an important letter regarding an opportunity that I had all but relegated as a lost cause. I opened the other letters first, steeling myself for confirmation from IIE that my Fulbright application had been read, assessed, and finally rejected. At last that beast would be laid to rest, and I'd move on with my life. Right... it's a bit too thick to be a rejection letter, though. No, I shouldn't start thinking along those lines. I've known this was coming, and to get my hopes up all over again is to start a rollercoaster ride that I don't have time for right now. It's time to know.

So I opened it. riiiiiiiip...

I've made it past the national stage and on to the international review board. Somewhere in Germany, my proposal is being read. Pending their approval and the presidentially-appointed board's final decision, I could be on my way next year. My heart skipped a few beats, of course... Back on the rollercoaster, hold on for dear life!

So then Thursday. I'm heading out of town shortly after my latest class, flying to Indiana for my first grad school interview. My ride doesn't e-mail me back to verify departure time and location, and a phone call reveals that she'd forgotten all about it, or hadn't gotten my 2 or 3 e-mails. Yeesh. A close one. A few short hours later, I finish my frantic packing with all of two minutes to spare, and we take off. A couple of turnarounds were required to get our bearings, but we made it in time for me to waltz right onto the already boarding plane. One more missed turn and I could have missed the flight entirely, although I marvel about how easy and leisurely my stroll through the airport was. Not having to sit around and wait to board is downright delicious. Not that I'd aim for that every time... but it's nice.

So the flights are uneventful. Stopover in Detroit (which has a very nice airport) just long enough to grab dinner. My luggage made it, and I go to meet my ride. Now, in my interview invitation they said something about a Limosine service. I figured it was a fancy synonym for slightly upscale car service... um. Black. Stretch. Leather interior. The works. I have pictures... can't put them up until I get back to campus since the hotel wireless is too cagey... oh yes, did I mention the hotel? The private room? Amazing.

So today... I talked with a whole bunch of faculty members, and students (grad and undergrad) working in various labs. Overall impression is highly favorable. I could see myself working here and being quite happy doing so. It's nice to have some reassurance that among my dwindling list of schools, I have at least one very strong option. We'll see how the rest of my life falls into place...

It's going to be a wild ride.

No comments: