Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A beautiful day

Ah, slacking off... at least until dinner. I had a NAP this afternoon, and farted around on the internet. Okay, so I have a German exam tomorrow that I'm not particularly prepared for, and I've got lab in the morning, and some reading to do for a couple of classes, and eventually I'll have to give a thought to my anth paper and finishing my honors and neurobio proposals, but at the same time it's struck me that it's all downhill from here.

Yeah, I need to figure next year out in finer detail (a place to live would be nice) and there are a few more milestone events left to suck up my time (like finishing my honors, and another chamber singers performance, and cornerstones gigs, and finals, to name a few) but it's still less to do than I had on my plate a month ago. Or a week ago for that matter. Or maybe it feels that way because there is an end in sight, this whole graduation deal, and I feel ready for it. Commencement really will be just that, another new start.

Or maybe I'm just relieved that Ohio finally feels like spring, and glad that I've got a birthday (the big 2-2!) this weekend, and pleased that I'm NOT crashing from a whirlwind weekend that included, as always, as many goodbyes as hellos. Mike's recital was wonderful. His family was fabulous as always. And the music... I've heard most of the program before in one form or another, but never a live performance.

Well, there was the one song, the song I didn't expect... He wrote it when we were probably 17 or so, maybe almost 18, and I've only ever heard a couple of his attempts to play through it, with lots of starts and stops. The guitarist he got to play it was great; too bad that the amp crackled a bit in the middle, but it was still fabulous and brought me immediately back to the mindset I was in the first time I heard it. Ah, to be 17, and completely flummoxed by feelings that you don't quite feel old enough to be having, despite the obvious fact that you are, since it's real and exciting and scary and oh so much fun...

Funny how that parallels being almost 22, with a wide world at your feet and new adventures ahead... I've got a broader and deeper palette of experinces to draw from now, and I've learned so much, and yet that butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling is irrepressably the same. Well, look at how well it turned out last time I felt this way! I may dislike change on many levels, but I could very well be developing a taste for adventure.

No comments: