Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A million down, a million and one left to go.

I survived my recital! Actually, I was pretty pleased with how it went. I was a little nervous for the Italian section, so I wasn't able to be as emotionally expressive as I had intended, but after that I got into the swing of things and had a great time. The big closer got all the laughs I hoped for, although I occasionally hit the "wrong" note and stayed in key with the accompaniment when I was supposed to clash. As I keep telling everyone who asks, I'm SO glad it's over. I didn't sign up to sing at a voice area recital, I don't have to do juries... except I still have lessons, which are already paid for. Quite frankly, I'd give them money at this point to tell me I didn't have to go. Since Chamber Singers is still in full swing and Cornerstones is picking up again, the extra hour a week is looking more and more valuable to me.

My honors paper, or at least the first complete draft, is due Friday. It's about 50% written. My humongous neurobiology grant proposal is due Thursday, and I've got about 30% of that paper. Luckily it's also a draft, but I'd like to make it as complete as possible so I can take advantage of the class peer review aspect... If I were writing a "real" grant proposal, I'd be freaking out right now. I've got an undergraduate research conference on Saturday to prepare for tonight, but hopefully I can cut and paste a powerpoint from old presentations and my summer science poster pretty easily... I've run updated stats and my behavioral data are much more exciting in full analysis... gosh, I must sound boring. Anyway, we're having a lab meeting tonight with chinese food to get things in order. Yay sweet and sour chicken!

Extra yay... Saturday evening after the conference I'm flying to Kansas City for Mike's senior composition recital. As long as I can get everything done in time between now and then, I'll actually be able to take a breather for a day and NOT frantically work towards a billion deadlines. I'm even on top of things for the Fulbright... I've scheduled my physical, (next Tuesday) filled out the German self-test and University application, and even started looking into housing options. Even with these two papers to complete, I'm feeling on top of things for the moment. Plus today is Honors Day, so I get to stand in front of the whole school in my kickin' new duds and officially be recognized for the award. I won't be onstage unfortunately, and I hope the Nuge (the college president) pronounces my name right this year! I think they are also presenting the Neuroscience departmental award, which means I can support Tyler. He really deserves it. Well, we both do, but they can't rightfully give the senior award to half the senior majors. I was a little jealous at first when I realized that I was being passed over, but I've made my peace with it and now I'm just happy for him.

Whoops, lost track of time! Off to neurobio!

No comments: