Sunday, June 05, 2005

Reasons I like my new(er) job:

  • I still get to hang out with cool geriatrics!
  • Familiar faces: Ned still plays piano, Marie and Marie still compliment my smile on a daily basis or ask me to sing a song, Pauline still enjoys her beer, John K. still wheels around, John N. still talks anyone's ear off, Bill still obsessively cleans whatever he can reach...
  • New folks: I met Emma on Friday. She's in for a couple of weeks of therapy. She's orignally from Germany (outside Stuttgart) so she helped me practice a bit, and was tickled pink when I followed the conversation pretty well. It's nice when people tell me I've made their day.
  • Learning new things: One day a week I'm assisting the social worker with new admits and whatever else she needs done. I get to interview lots of new people, assess how together and aware they are, and in some cases hear cool life stories.
  • Retaining old skills: Welcome back, bus-tub arms! I'm also working a couple days as a "hydration tech," which is a fancy way of saying water girl. I also help out at meals and with cleanup. It's been a while since I bussed a table, but at least this time I can't get stiffed!

I was hoping to get my full-time gig in activities back, but even when I help other departments I think I'll still be "borrowed" every now and then for sing-alongs and projects. The most important thing is that I'll still be interacting with the residents. Many of them remember me, so it's fun to catch up.

I'm needed downstairs... We're having my little brother's graduation party this afternoon and folks are starting to arrive!

No comments: