Thursday, August 25, 2005

Food and Theatre...

Yay for wednesday morning off from classes! Yay for my first stipend check! Not so yay: spending said morning waiting for the bus, getting into town to cash said check, only to have forgotten my passport, apparently necessary to complete the transaction. Blah. The Sparkasse is open late tomorrow, so I'll have to try again.

I'm going to need to start asking for recipes after every meal, because I would certainly love to continue eating this well when I'm off on my own. Tonight: sauteed vegetables and homemade pasta (Jennifer bought a pasta maker for 5 euro!) with homemade tomato sauce (a la Andrew), then fresh nectarines, chocolate, and aged cheese for dessert. It was so pretty, I took a picture.



Yum!

We ate outside on the lawn of the Burse since the weather was so nice today. Did I mention that I don't get to live here?

Oh, and this is the rose garden at the end of the lawn.

Pretty!

And this is the view of the water from our table, with one of the ferries coming up the fjord. Once again, I don't live here. My dorm is halfway across town. Sigh.

The bikers going by in the last shot were part of a huge group of cyclists/rollerbladers who randomly went rolling by, followed by a smartcar blaring something upbeat and orchestral. I'm rethinking my decision not to buy a bike here... I need to make sure before I buy my bus pass for the month of September! On the one hand, they are pricey and the quality is spotty, from what I've seen. On the other, I spend at least half an hour a day waiting for busses right now, and more if I have to make more than a couple of trips. Con: I'll either have to deal with selling it or hauling it on the train to Göttingen later. Pro: I like riding, and the hills here are definitely manageable. Anti: It costs money. For: I have money now? Gegen: I'll have to haggle in German. Für: It's healthy, and I don't often find forms of exercise that I genuinely enjoy... I could go on all night.

I borrowed Abi's bike tonight to get back home, and I really liked it. If I can find one that rides that well for less than 80 euro, I might just have to go for it.

The reason I had to borrow Abi's bike? Theatre. I missed the last reasonably close bus for the night for the sake of art, and I have no regrets.

We had a reading of Abi's play, Voices Underwater. I got to play a wounded cross-dressing civil war soldier, which was really fun. I'm not sure quite how to describe the play itself... very surreal, but with lots of really interesting facets and interplay across shifting histories and time. It is being premiered I think next week on the west coast, I think maybe in LA? I'd love to see it staged someday... my impression is that it is a very visual piece, almost otherworldly in design and technically very complex to stage. I have to say that I'm continually impressed with my classmates. They do amazing work, are genuinely awesome people, and can cook like the dickens! I hope it rubs off on me...

Coming tomorrow: I'm finally going to take some picture of my dorm and environs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your room and environs. And cooking is a great skill to obtain. ~Mom xo