Thursday, August 25, 2005

When it rains...

I know I promised to get around to posting pictures of my dorm… I lied. Not gonna happen yet. I haven’t even taken them. It was rainy and nasty today, and I was in a foul mood after a very wet wild-goose chase. Apparently DeutscheBank lacks a little bit in the customer service area. The group of us all went together to open accounts, and they screwed a couple up. Mine was fine, but by now most folks have gotten their bank cards in the mail, but the three of us at the other dorm are still waiting. The folks at the bank basically told me that my mail must not be set up properly, and that I have to check with the Hausmeister and then request a new card. I think I’m going to give them the department address this time rather than my home address. Hopefully I can get it figured out before I have to leave!

So I got home from my excursion dripping wet and frustrated with finance (and bus schedules. I was so flustered by the whole issue that I accidentally got on the wrong bus. Twice.) I was almost late for our evening excursion to the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival's final dress rehearsal.

It didn’t really help matters that we got into a car accident on our way. (Don’t worry Mom, I’m okay!) Jan, the head advisor for the university’s International Center, was driving, and a woman hydroplaned against his car and knocked the passenger-side mirror almost off. Yup, today just got better and better.

We continued on to the festival, and everything was better. The music was amazing! The orchestra is made up of students from 22 countries. This year’s theme was “Japan.” The first piece was Memory of the Sea (Hiroshima Symphony) by Toshio Hosokawa. The horns actually left the orchestra and moved behind the audience at one point, so the sound was coming from everywhere. The second piece, Toru Takemitsu’s Ceremonial: An Autumn Ode for Orchestra and Shô, showcased the guest soloist Mayumi Miyata. The Shô is a really cool traditional Japanese wind instrument that basically looked to me like a cross between a harmonica and a pipe organ. It produces incredibly pure-sounding tones, and I think it’s either designed to play overtone-like clusters or the composer did something really cool.

After intermission we heard Strauss’ Eine Alpensinfonie, op. 64. The piece tells the story of climbers ascending one of the Alps and climbing down again. One section represents crossing a cow pasture, complete with cowbells. My favorite part was the storm during the descent, complete with thunder and rushing wind sounds.

All in all, it hit the spot. I’m exhausted and haven’t had time to do any homework for tomorrow, but somehow good music is humongously cathartic. It makes you feel a million emotions, literally can change your heartbeat. Sometimes I just need that.

The festival is held on the grounds of a giant mansion, where all 120 or so musicians live for two months of rehearsals and performances. The concert hall is actually some kind of outbuilding on the grounds. Pictures, you ask? Of course!


The mansion Posted by Picasa


Another view Posted by Picasa


From the steps... the concert hall is the red brick building just past the flags. Posted by Picasa


Closer to the entrancePosted by Picasa


The view from my seat. I didn't realize it at the time, but the soloist was sitting right in front of me (with the braided hair).
Posted by Picasa


Fulbrighters on the mansion steps! Posted by Picasa



Aren't we cute? Posted by Picasa


If you�re ever in Schleswig-Holstein in the summer, check it out! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor Alaina!! Well, at least you had world class music to cheer you up :) Always thinking of you, and I love you.
-Beto