Wednesday, August 03, 2005

T minus one week...

and counting!

Packing is still in the early (listing and piling) stages, but definite progress is being made. Exciting, yet terrifying. I'm soothing myself with nostalgic sounds (thanks Tim!) and taking it a step at a time.

I stood and watched an eagle glide,
Spread his wings and soared across the sky.
How gracefully he flew!
Rising effortlessly; I wanted to know
How to be free.
~Eagle Song, from Barefoot by the Cornerstones

I'm trying to think through all the stuff that I'm likely to need in the next year, prioritize and organize it... while staying mindful of all the things that could go wrong if my luggage gets lost, I get lost, etc... while simultaneously not panicking.

I probably should be worried about meeting people, networking in the lab, overcoming the language barrier, and remembering to take time out and explore my new surroundings; instead, as always, my life is centered around my stuff, and how to schlub it from here to there. Somehow this realization always makes me feel kind of cheated. Unfortunately, I don't have it in me to take a vow of poverty and renounce my worldly goods (heck, the iPod is less than a month old and I just got my photos on the thing!) but there has to be a happy medium, right?

The sad thing is, I know that in a year's time I'm going to come back with more than I leave with now. So much for freedom.

And yet... Eagles are also a symbol of strength. Let's see how much this puppy can carry.

No comments: