Friday, October 21, 2005

Fix and more

Eugh, sorry about the ugly whatever-the-heck line break code in the last post! I think it was a leftover from composing in Word, transfering to another computer with an older version of Word, and copy-pasting into Blogger through Firefox instead of my usual trusty Internet Explorer. I'm not sure which step is the actual culprit, but I'll be on my guard next time.

Anyway, it's all better now and has also jogged my memory a little. Yesterday I was ranting a little bit about writing conventions. The italics problem isn't fully solved, but I've decided to rely a little more on SHOUTING and boldface text, at least where emotional emphasis is concerned. (And I still fully believe that multiple exclamation points are a sure sign of a diseased mind!!!!)

As for indicating internal monologue and language shifts, I'm toying with the idea of cutesy HTML tags. Sure, I'm a total poseur and actually know very little about HTML. Not to mention the fact that I've only seen one person pull them off successfully, and then only in the context of an IM or away message. But it gets the gist across quickly and is less distracting than section breaks. So maybe from now on < Deutsch>Hi, my name is Alaina< /Deutsch> means "Hallo, ich heiße Alaina" in the real world. Maybe just the letter D instead of the whole word? Eh, worth a try.

Anybody who actually knows HTML... if I have to add a space anyway to make the code show up, could it still possibly screw with anyone's ability read the blog? If I'm attempting to clarify things, that would be a shame.

Obviously I don't have nearly enough to do to fill my time. Maybe I should take some classes or something.

1 comment:

1Mac said...

I'm pretty sure that our good friend Lileks at least popularized the faux HTML tags. I'll have to send you some examples.