Tuesday, October 25, 2005

In the right direction

I decided yesterday to punk out on my plan to take developmental bio auf Deutsch... and I couldn't be happier. For starters, I've been invited to sit in on the Neurosciences grad program lectures. What I didn't realize before was that this entails a block schedule in which each week covers a new topic... and the lecture times and places also change accordingly. I may have to miss a few or do some creative scheduling to have enough time in lab, but I think I can make it work.

The lectures are in English, and all of the topics are really cool! This week: Motor Systems and Neuroplasticity. (I think it's going to be kind of like intro Neuro at Kenyon, only WAY more intensive and detailed.) I don't get to sit in on seminars, methods courses, or tutorials, but that's fine by me since I'll get all that next year in grad school, and I'm learning plenty of new methods right now in lab. The only other drawback is that I missed the first two weeks plus this morning's class... but since the topics change I don't think it's really possible to fall behind.

In other news, my German ability is holding steady... yesterday morning I learned that I placed into Mittlestufe at the Lektorat. I can take up to three classes per semester, so last night I tried Wortschatzübungen I and Grammatik I. Both classes had about 40 people in the room! It's a far cry from the personal attention we got in Kiel. So I'll have three hours of class on Monday and Wednesday night... and tonight I'm trying Schreiben I, so that's an hour and a half on Tuesday and Thursday. I may end up dropping a course if it turns out to be too heavy of a load, but right now I'm really excited about it.

The way things are laid out right now, I think Mondays are going to be kind of crazy. Looking through the Neuro schedule, I almost always have a couple hours of lecture bright and early in the morning. Then lab in the afternoon and two German classes at night... and then choir rehearsal from 8:15 to 10!

But if yesterday was a long day even without morning classes, a musical nightcap was the saving grace. Once we started singing, I couldn't stop smiling. Even though I was totally exhausted, I felt a humongous surge of energy. We worked on Saint-Saëns' Oratorio de Noël, Bach's Cantata BWV 48, and of course the Mozart Requiem... and even without getting to the gorgeous Lacrimosa, I couldn't help but feel buoyed by the whole experience. I suppose I should point out some of the main differences I noticed from Chamber Singers... For one, the choir is bigger. I'd estimate about 80 singers, two-thirds of which are women, naturally. Still, the men held their own. The Bass section definitely benefits from the inclusion of some older members. And did I mention that I'm suddenly a Sop? (Okay, after two years of Carolyn, my voice teacher, constantly telling me not to be afraid to use my high range... I guess I should have seen it coming!) Still, two hours was more than a little strenuous.

Warm-ups were unfortunately short, and I don't think I quite understood the explanations in German, so I wasn't exactly able to make the most of it. Maybe I need to take a few minutes beforehand to make sure I'm ready... although I'll be coming straight from class, so we'll see how that works!

As far as sight-singing is concerned, between sitting in sections and being directed from the piano I totally have it made. So maybe this year I won't make any more progress with my fear of reading... but at least I'll learn the music quickly! With only one rehearsal a week I'm pretty sure the group always performs with score in hand, so that's easier too... although I'm sure the group sensitivity to direction will be nowhere near what we accomplished in CS, even pre-tour.

Speaking of sitting in sections... we learned parts sitting. Trying to hit the high notes, I found that even more strenuous than standing. (Maybe I'd feel differently if we'd stood for two straight hours...) I'm not sure if the arrangement is just for now or if it will always be this way. I like sections at the beginning, but if we never mix I think I'll find it a little frustrating. Even yesterday I noticed that the other parts were miles away and I couldn't really enjoy the interplay between the lines. Plus I couldn't hear myself at all in a sea of soprano... unless I fell into old habits and let some vibrato through, and then I stuck out like a sore thumb. Gonna have to watch that...

Still, I'm looking forward to next week's rehearsal. It's wonderful to have music again!

Okay, time for a quick lunch and then my first Neuro lecture!

No comments: