Friday, October 14, 2005

Self-explanatory

Hmm... Yesterday... Interesting how angst and general emotional malaise coincide so perfectly with onset of menstruation. Just noticing, is all.

As for today... Went back to the international students office to figure out what is up with my ID card... the woman there told me she had been sick (which I knew) and that even though the money has been gone from my account for a week, she hasn't been able to check for herself that the University recieved it and tell the computer system that I can have my card. Fine. Then she said that she'd get around to it this afternoon.

Me (in German): So, if I go back to the other office this afternoon and try again, it will work, right?

Her (in German): Exactly. I have office hours until 1pm, but after that I'll take care of it.

So, come 1:15, I figure I'm a little early, but our campus tour has brought us to the appropriate office, and I get in line for the... seventh time?

And... No go. Must be too early.

When attempt number eight rolls around at 2:45 (after another half hour in line, naturally) with the exact same result, I'm really starting to get cheesed off with bureacracy. I can still use the picture-taking kiosk this weekend and print out the required form (plus another form to prove I'm finally registered with the University) but now I can't actually get my ID until Monday, and the other 2 or 3 offices that require a copy of said second form must wait likewise. And that's only if the thing finally works.

Otherwise, today was pretty decent. I found out that I don't actually need my ID to register for classes, so now I just need to spend some more time online this weekend to figure out which one(s) I want, and when and where I have to be for the first day to secure a place. My group for the orientation seems nice. They split the 50-odd of us up into smaller sections, and mine seems to be mostly scientists, and also mostly Spanish. We had a midday break and a bunch of us had coffee together, and although they kept reverting to spanish when the german wasn't coming and I got a little lost, it was fun.

Afterwards I went to the movies. Completely tangential note: they sell beer here in movie theatres. And in the dining halls.

And was für ein Film, you ask?

Why, Jungfrau, (40) mannlich, sucht...

Of course!

I figured The 40-Year-Old Virgin was a good place to start when it comes to seeing American films auf Deutsch: not too intelligent with lots of physical comedy. Plus, Steve Carrell! Of course now I have to see it in English, purely for comparison's sake. (Steve Carrell!)

I did miss a couple of jokes, but for the most part it came across really well. I also noticed that a couple of things that I found hilarious ("ja, der Freshmaker!") seemed to be a little lost on the rest of the audience. The dubbing was well matched and most of the time I didn't notice... although I've realized that sometimes my listening comprehension is a bit better when I can lipread a little, especially when people talk very fast. Of course the scene over the credits retained the original sound, which was glorious. Highly recommended.

I think my next adventure will have to be Wallace & Gromit auf der Jagt nach dem Riesenkaninchen. Oh, yes.

Tomorrow I have more orientation, and then some kind of group outing to a local bar at night. Should be fun!



1 comment:

Bryan Stokes II said...

Sorry to hear about the angst and such. I hope the ID card nonesense works out.

And let me know how the Wallace and Gromit film is. My sister and I are planning to see it when I'm home for Thanksgiving.