Thursday, July 29, 2004

pack! ack!

Oh, so much to do...  and only tonight and tomorrow in which to do it!  I've got decisions to make about what's going in storage and what I need to bring, errands to run, and finally stuff to pack and actually put in storage.  In six days I'll sleep in as many different places!  I think I'm going to miss campus.  Probably not work, but the atmosphere here.  And the lab.  Putting my project on hold is slightly difficult.  It's not that I don't need the vacation, or that I'm not humongously excited about meeting folks I've only heard about for the past six years, but I also realize that it would make my fall semester much less hectic if I could start the next phase now.  It's a trade-off, I suppose.  I also know I'd make the same plans again in a heartbeat, so I really can't complain.

Today and tomorrow are only partial days in Admissions, and I'll be spending mid-morning in the lab and only giving one tour a day, which is appreciated.  Ten to fifteen tours a week really wipes me out.  I can only talk about the new athletic facility on campus so many times before I start to get a little cynical about it.  C'mon, people, this stuff is all over the website.  Sure, come to campus and see the facilities and grounds firsthand, but if your kid really wants to come here you can at least do us the favor of knowing the name of the school and a few of the vital statistics.  No, there are no grad students here, so they can't teach classes.  Do you really expect me to know, or care, what percent of students have Macs versus PCs?  The network supports both, your kid can have either (or both,)  so unless you think it makes your kid cooler somehow to have the most popular computer on campus it really has no bearing on college life.  Geez.  The college search is overwhelming, true enough... but don't visit a school your kid has absolutely no interest in just because it's there.  And if you have any attitude problems yourself  - you think liberal arts are for indecisive wafflers, you know for a fact that your kid is too smart for anything but Ivy League, you think science only happens at large research institutions - leave it at home or don't bother.  And give your kid support, but don't let this become your college search.  You had your turn, and unless you're actually going back to school, it's over. 

But enough venting.  I only have  an hour to get the filing done before I head to the lab, so I should actually do some work. 

No comments: