Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Back to work... and a new toy

I'm posting from the lab, where I am actually working on my German homework. How's that for multitasking? Ahem... or graduate level procrastination, whichever floats your boat.

I get to write an essay on my thoughts about Studiengebühren. That's right, ask the Kenyon alum how she feels about the concept of tuition in higher education, because that's not going to open up a whole can of really nasty worms. Surprisingly, I find myself defending the idea, at least where the German system is concerned. Yes, it's out of hand in the US, especially with the nasty trickle-down financial inequality that has reached the level of Kindergarten in some places... But I'm also a product of private schools, and I appreciate the value of what I've received. My parents worked and saved. I worked pretty darn hard at school to get the grades that gave me access to scholarships, not to mention the full-time employment over summers and breaks... plus multiple on-campus jobs (I think at one point I had three.)

A car or a Kenyon education? I made my choice.

Hmm, I guess I should try to write out at least some of this in German so I can actually turn it in!

*****

A little nerd-alert aside... I caught a BBC segment a while back about a nifty internet homepage thingamajig called Protopage. I've been fiddling with it, and I like the idea, especially since the Kenyon homepage thingie punked out on me earlier this year. Some new features have just been added, and now it supports RSS- and Atom-feeds for news and such, including (hint hint) blogs. Yay! If you want a way rad customizable homepage, give it a try. Oh, and if you ever want to add a link or feed for this site, there's a new button under the archive. That's it, a little to the right... now scroll down... you've got it!

1 comment:

Bryan Stokes II said...

I've finally found someone else who reads You Damn Kid!

I can't wait until Fox does something with it's option and turns the danged thing into a tv show.