Monday, December 12, 2005

Good things

So I went to the international Mass on Saturday night. About 10 people were there, including two priests and two musicians. The celebrant also played a little guitar here and there, and with the lot of us sitting in a circle around the alter and the candlelight I couldn't help but get a Chapel vibe. Everything was in English, but the only music I found familiar was the last song, Here I Am, Lord. St. Louis Jesuit, of course. I've known that one by heart for probably 18 years.

After the service I introduced myself to a couple of people, and they actually thanked me for leading the song. It was the first time they had ever used it.

The last little puzzle pieces are finally sliding into place. Of course, now I get to go home. Then again, I'm glad that I had to force myself to hold out through that round of nasty, discombobulated feelings and out the other side. Who knows, if I had been able to take two weeks and go home at that point, I might have decided not to come back.

Of course I'm still excited about Christmas and seeing everyone at home... but now when I come back I have an awesome time ahead of me, not the least of which is the prospect of getting involved in a new faith community. Not to mention social improvements... I spent time the last two weekends with Laura and Claire (and two of their other friends, teaching assistants from Dublin, who were in town this past Saturday.) Probably have a picture around here somewhere from the Irish Pub that I can post later... A couple of the guys from my dorm also keep inviting me to parties, although by the term "inviting" I mostly mean dropping hints about upcoming events a week ahead of time (and never mentioning it again) or commenting ruefully that, had I not gone out with the girls the night before, they would have asked me along to another gathering. They seem nice enough, though.

I also have choir practice every night this week, and the Christmas concert on Friday. Oh, and I joined the Riser Crew! Okay, they don't have a for-real riser crew like Chamber Singers, but they asked for some volunteers to help set up the platforms tomorrow afternoon before our first rehearsal in the church, and I signed up right away. Luckily I have tomorrow off from lab, since I also need to write an essay in German about my Christmas traditions, talk to the dorm office about my mold issue, and get some laundry started if I expect everything to air-dry by the time I go home! Maybe I can find an iron this time, too...

Ugh, time for class. I have a test today that I'm only half prepared for, so wish me luck!

No comments: