Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A nice surprise

I got a fabulous compliment today.

At least, that's how I'm choosing to interpret it.

I was making some pasta when one of my dorm-mates came into the kitchen and grabbed his own dinner. When I got to the table with my plate of delicious "Spaghetti a la Kiel" (with broiled veggies just like Meghan used to make!) he told me that I'm the first American to live in the dorm that he'd ever seen actually cook. He's been here a while from what I've gathered, so I felt pretty special. (I guess the rest of them lived off Ramen and frozen pizza?)

Anyway, I appear to be able to feed myself like a real live independent adult now... at least to the casual observer. I've mastered a couple variations on about 3 all-purpose meal components (pasta, bread, vegetables) and manage to combine them in useful ways. It's a start! Maybe soon I'll graduate to salads... last time I tried, stuff went bad before I could eat all of it. After that, the sky's the limit! Chicken, even!


Oh, and before I forget! The promised picture from the Irish Pub! Left to right: Claire, Michelle, Laura, Claire-Ann, and me. Claire and Laura live in Göttingen, and the other two were visiting from other nearby towns, where they also teach English. The three Dublin ladies seem to approve of the place, which I suppose counts for something!

(5 DAYS!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

woo hoo Alaina!! Almost 4 days! I informed Maryann at Delmar that you were coming home, the first words out of her mouth were, "we have to all go out". George is still a sweetie. Have you introduced Mike to them? Well see you soon, and until then, I will check your blog. Love you, Aunt Lynn