Friday, December 16, 2005

Just a little... giddy

I woke up extra early this morning (7:30!) and pedalled my way through the rain up to Weende for breakfast with Christina, which was lovely. I also dropped off two tickets for tonight's Uni-chor concert, for Wolfgang and Oma, who is happily out of the hospital after last week's scare and apparently doing well. I was actually able to keep my end of the conversation up the whole time, which is a nice change... When I lived there, I think I was pretty proud of myself just to utter the occasional comprehensible sentence over mealtimes. Christina offered to pick me up tomorrow night and bring me to the train station, which means I don't have to walk with my huge suitcase or spring for a cab. Yay!

Speaking of which, I'm ostensibly packing at the moment. (As excited as I am to go home, I still haven't really started other than writing lists and gathering presents for folks in a big pile.) I also really have to pee, because I drank lots of tea and juice at breakfast... Okay, wierd segue, but I swear I'm going somewhere with this.

Five minutes ago I went into the restroom closest to my room. I quickly noticed that the stall door was locked, even though it was silent inside (understandable... everybody gets stage fright once in a while) so I left again. I had also automatically flipped the light switch for the stall, and as I left the light was out... but then I felt too awkward to go back in again and turn the light back on, so I came back to my room, where I immediately felt so weird about it that I ditched my plan to go back out and use the other bathroom, because I think if I saw anyone in the hall at this point I'd turn beet red, and possibly giggle. We can't be having that, now. So to the person using the facilities, a mystery dorm-mate perfunctorily entered the bathroom, removed his/her light source, and left again. Certainly odd. Discussion questions: does this make me a bad person? How long do I have to wait before I can attempt to utilize the facilities? Because I really do have to pee.

Ahem. This entire train of though is brought to you by the "Alaina is going home in a couple days and thus is more than a little slap-happy at the moment" organization, eV, GmbH.

Mike has informed me that my countdown system is in the Roman style, as I include both the current day and the arrival day in my tally. I've explained that it's a mechanism of self-protection, because by the time I'm down to one day I'm really almost there and I can't torture myself with counting down hours, minutes, and (heaven help me) seconds. Plus, when I think "Three days!" I can reassure myself that the actual remaining time is somewhat shorter, which is a nice thought (although I'm choosing not to figure in the time difference, at least so long as I'm travelling west.) Anyway, three days!!!

Okay, I'm going to post this, and then I'm going to pee, and then I'm going to pack!

No comments: