Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Holiday Cheer

We don't have snow on the ground at the moment, but I'm definitely getting in the Christmas spirit... Due in part, I'm sure, to the creation of an iTunes playlist with the same title as this post. Granted, it's not nearly as glorious my Christmas playlist was last year. When my Lyra Jukebox died it took plenty of hostages down with it, including my oh-so-carefully assembled collection of Jackson 5, Alvin & the Chipmunks, various artists with dental deficiencies, and Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey. (Hee HAW, Hee HAW!) To my credit, I also had lots of decent standards AND the Charlie Brown Christmas music. I think that more than makes up for the Mariah.

Actually, my selections are way classy this year. I've got some Cornerstones stuff, the RK Voices Christmas Novena (recorded the year after I graduated, dang it!) and TWO complete Christmas Oratoria (yes I just made up that plural. J.S. Bach and Saint-Saëns.) Throw in a couple of Ave Marias (Schubert, natch) and some random Handel's Messiah for good measure, and we've got ourselves a Krazy Klassikal/Khoral Khristmas. Or something like that. Too bad Chamber Singers never have time to do Holiday pieces in addition to the tour repertoire...

Anyhow, I've been sitting on some photos, so at long last, here is the Göttinger Weihnachtsmarkt!


This Weender Strasse, which runs north-south all the way from Weende (where the Krebs' live) to town. This is the north entrance to the Stadtzentrum. I think the lights are just as pretty as middle path.


The Aula, am Wilhelmsplatz, at night.


A blurry shot of the Weender Strasse a little further south, where it meets the Gänselieselplatz in front of the Altes Rathaus. The lights are everywhere, not to mention food and drink and crafts and music and people...


I posted a picture from roughly this angle in front of the Altes Rathaus when the decorations were first going up... the difference is amazing. The lights are too bright to really make it out, but the boothish looking thing just to the right of center is a carousel. There are more booths behind the Altes Rathaus and all around the Johanniskirche.


Alongside St. Johannis. The old Stadtbibliothek (City Library) put up pictures in all the windows like an Advent Calendar.


A better angle for the windows.


A little further along next to St. Johannis. Sorry for the blur, but you can still see the ferris wheel!


And now for something completely different... There was a llama on the Gänselieselplatz last week. Here is Laura, another Fulbrighter in town. She teaches English at the Max Planck Gymnasium.


And of course yours truly. No, not the llama.


Something else I've been meaning to post... All the Horsaale (lecture halls) in the ZHG (one of the main Uni buildings) are numbered, but somebody took a little creative license with this one. I think that's why they hold the infiltration and espionage classes here.

Home in 12 days! Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alaina! One of the restorative aide gals at Delmar, asked how you were doing. She was very impressed w/ you. And I was a mighty proud Aunt to go on and brag about you. I told her I should foward the link of your blog. Ok, I call it homesickness. I think it is so cool for you to experience Germany, so I hope you can relish your experiences there. You are A-0k. Coming home shall be great for you, and I think it is absolutely wonderful. Hang in there Chicky. I love ya too, no doubt Teddi too. Oh, and Uncle Andy too. lol See ya soon. Lots of love, dearest neice. Hugs, Aunt Lynn. whew, holiday staff party was excellent, and I still can't believe it is over with. Food was the best it has ever been. Lots of compliments from the Corporate staff. hehe, ya think I will get a great raise??? lol again, love, aunt Lynn

1Mac said...

Okay, now you've made me go and do scholarship. *ahem*

"Oratorio" seems to derive from the Latin "oratorius," an adjective meaning, well, "oratorical," or "of an orator." This particular form is in the ablative, and since adjectives can have implied nouns associated with them, "oratorio" by itself probably translates into something like "in an oratorical fashion," or "in the manner of an orator." Since it is a 1st declension adjective, you could use "oratoria" or "oratorii," depending on whether you consider it to be a neuter or masculine noun. Of course, since it is really an adjective, it probably needs to modify something either written out or implied. I suggest "res oratorio" for your plural, meaning "things in an oratorical manner." ("Res" is the "Schlag" or "Zug" of the Latin language.)

Wow, I faked my way as a Latin scholar pretty well. Good thing I cheated a little.