Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I should buy a Lotto ticket RIGHT NOW!

My buzzer rang five minutes ago. I wasn't expecting anyone, so I was completely surprised to find Christina, my host mom from the beginning of the semester, on the other side of the door. She had a letter addressed to me that had been delivered to her house (whoops, better make sure Deutsche Bank has my updated address!)

And something else.

That's right, St. Anthony, patron of lost items, has come through for me once again. Apparently a student found my cell phone wherever I lost it, and somehow decided to call the Krebses number from my saved contacts... possibly because I have several Krebs family cell numbers saved as well, or maybe she looked up names in the phone book until she found someone who actually lives here? Their daughter Astrid (who I only met once briefly when I picked up Flora Fahrrad after Christmas) is visiting and was the only one home when the girl called, but somehow managed to figure out that the phone was mine, and had her bring it to their house. I repaid the €10 finder's fee the girl had asked for, which was no big deal considering that I was planning to buy another phone tomorrow or the next day...

Anyway, it's also one more entry on the long list of why I love small places. Lost stuff can actually find its own way home!

2 comments:

Bryan Stokes II said...

Yay!

This time, you should do what I do- forget that you own a cell phone and leave it charging in your apartment perpetually. It's much harder to lose that way :-P

Sarah said...

Yay! I'm glad your cell phone--er, "handy" was returned to you! :o)