Saturday, January 28, 2006

Pictures! etc.

Sigh... I'm still missing one Handy (Deutsch for cellphone) and I seem to have forgotten my bike helmet, probably in the choir room at St. Blasius, where the Uni-chor sang last night. As this marks the second time I've misplaced both items, I'm keeping a close eye on my wallet at the moment... as well as other very important life necessities, such as my gummy bears and my dignity. (I'm assuming that sufficient time has passed since Phling Karaoke '05 to allow the latter to have grown back.)

I may just have to suck it up and buy another helmet, although I'm 90% sure I know exactly where it is. The Göttinger Universitätschor doesn't have a Walk of Shame like Chamber Singers, but we also don't have tour managers that scour the dressing room after a performance for left-behind items. As for the phone, I've yet to look in lab, or my Thursday night classroom, or St. Nikolai where we had choir practice, so I may have a chance. Neither the toy store I stopped in that night (Kailyn needs Baby Born accessories unavailable in America) nor the fabulous restaruant where I had dinner (and discovered that amaretto sours do exist over here! Must return to find out if they're any good...) had found anything.

I tried calling it, but nobody answered and I may well have left the sound off anyway. I had a friend text it with my name and address, just in case. If it doesn't come back to me in the next week I guess I'll have to buy a new phone, too. Sigh.

Otherwise, though, things are fabulous at the moment. The concert was wonderful, and I'm looking forward to singing the Requiem one more time tomorrow. I thought the extra rehearsals would kill my voice since I'm singing soprano, but it's actually significantly easier to hit the high notes now compared to the normal one-practice-per-week schedule. And St. Blasius, the church where we sang, was stunning.


The outside of St. Blasiuskirche, in Hann-Münden, as the choir and orchestra herd inside... we wandered en masse from the train station to the church, parts of the group actually jaywalking when we didn't all make it across the street during the light, causing my friend Julia to remark: "Dass ist nicht typisch Deutsch!"


The street behind the church. So pretty!


And of course, the inside was glorious as well.

On the train on the way back, I sat with Min Jung, another soprano from S. Korea. We know each other from writing class as well as choir, and it was great to have a chance to chat. She's in her first year of studies here and wants to teach German in Korea. She'll be in Göttingen for at least the next three years, and her German is much better than mine. Her sister lives in Los Angeles and is about to have her second baby, and Min Jung was going to travel there over the semester break to visit her (her parents and brother are visiting from Korea for the Korean New Year, which is today or tomorrow) but she has a big project to work on and doesn't think she'll be able to go, which is hard. Still, she seems pretty happy here and opimistic about her studies. I learned that I was born in the year of the pig according to the traditional calander.

And now for some more pictures, since I took a walk today and felt like bringing my camera:


Gutenbergstraße, and the path leading up into the woods next to my building. I haven't had time to go exploring yet, but maybe when it's warmer...


A little ways along the street. Home is just visible on the right through the trees.

I should get a little studying done today, since I have my grammar final on Monday. I already bought myself an end-of-semester reward, though... Rincewind, der Zauberer. It's a single volume of early Terry Pratchett Discworld novels (The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, and Eric, for those who are familiar with the series) all of which I've of course read several times in English. It'll be a challenge to try and get through all thousand-plus pages auf Deutsch... but even more of a challenge to wait to start until after my exam!

No comments: