Friday, January 06, 2006

Schtuff

Sigh. I haven't even been back in G-town a week, and it already feels like I'm months from home. I guess that's what happens.

I am settling in. Groceries have been purchased, including a couple of chicken breast filets for when I'm feeling really daring and protien-deficient. Funny, with the current lab project I have developed a bit of an aversion to eggs, but not chicken. And actually there were hard-boiled egg slices on my sandwich at lunch and I managed to avoid thinking about it. I wonder if that means I could someday get over the whole aversion to mammal flesh...

Ugh. For now the closest I want to get are my gummy bears.

I've also done some housekeeping, at least once I remembered to steal some gloves from the lab and a spongie thing from the kitchen. My window is now mold-free, at least as far as I can see. I'm pretty sure the stuff I bought is actually some kind of tile/grout cleaning product, but it hasn't done anything to the plastic window frame or the paint/plaster of the wall, plus it worked immediately. It kind of smells like chlorine in here now, but maybe that will scare some of the smaller spiders back into the sink-nook section of the room where they belong. I found several of the beasties huddling in the ceiling corners of the bedroom proper upon my return, and that wasn't part of the tacit agreement. We may have to have Words later.

I'm also doing my best with an open window and a couple of scented candles, hoping the place will be habitable by bedtime. Brr.

I do have fun plans for this weekend... It's the second of the Uni-Chor's bi-semesterly Bach Cantatas (Cantati? Kantaten? for once the German version is easier...) Nr. 37, Wer da glaubet und getauft wird, der wird selig werden... at least this one is less of a downer than last time. (Nr. 48, Ich elender Mensch, wer wird mich erlösen vom Leibe dieses Todes?) Unfortunately we only started with it a bit before the concert, and have only had one rehearsal since, so the choir is relegated to the opening movement and the kind of boring closer. The really interesting-looking women's choir third movement (with all the trilly bits and the 16th note runs and the occastional 32nds thrown in for fun) has been relegated to soloist ringers. Drat.

In other news, I'm in serious Arrested Development withdrawal. I'm so far gone, I've even taking to reading online transcripts of season 3 episodes. I may need professional help.

Another more random link and then maybe I should go feed myself. This is blatantly "borrowed" from Tim, but I have way to many pharmacists in my family not to find it absolutely hysterical. Seriously, I almost shot Apfelschorle out my nose when I got to "prehensile colon."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a hoot!!!! got quite a few laughs from reading all about "Panexa"
Glad your mold is removed from the window. Stay healthy....(try Panexa :) Love you, mom