Sunday, January 15, 2006

Learn something every day...

The weather in Göttingen has been absolutely gorgeous, if chilly, for the past couple of days. The sun stays up until almost 5pm now, which is joyful. Even though I had nothing planned for today except a little grocery shopping and my laundry, I decided to dress up a little... I can't really wear skirts in the lab, so dress-up weekends are fun. Maybe that's just me.

I was heading up the hill towards my dorm, though, and for some reason it seemed significantly more difficult than usual. I've biked this hill daily for a few months now, but by the halfway point I was downshifting desperately, huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf. What the heck? I bought maybe 3 lbs of groceries, so it shouldn't make such a big difference.

Then I had spontaneous insight. I was biking like a girl. Y'know, knees pointing across the midline, trying not to give pedestrians a free show. I don't think I usually bike like a bowlegged cowboy, but I obviously had to use a whole different set of muscles this time to get up the hill.

I think I may have to try to do this once a week. Like a fitness regimen, or somesuch. Maybe tomorrow I'll bike somewhere pigeon-toed and see what that does.

Long story short, my butt is sore. But in a good way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for inadvertant exercise! I love you sis! ~Kara XOXO

Bryan Stokes II said...

I, of course, have no idea about this, but I always thought biking in a skirt was an instant no-no...

Alaina said...

No dear, that's sidesaddle. Recipe for disaster. Biking in a skirt that's anywhere between almost knee-length and almost ankle-length is doable. I wouldn't go too far to either extreme, though. ;)

Bryan Stokes II said...

Ahh, that makes more sense.

By the way, I'm glad to see that you've finally learned how shifting works :-P